Are you looking for a dog with really exotic colors? If you have noticed the Harlequin Dachshund you will surely want to know all the details of this variety of the Teckel breed. In Las Almenas we are expert breeders of Harlequin Dachshunds, among other toy or mini dog breeds, and we know how they are, how to take care of them and everything you need to know about their colors and spots.
Only the Harlequin Dachshund breeders who are professionally dedicated to the breeding of these dogs will inform you properly about their origin, pedigree, DNA and genetics of the parents so that, when you buy a Harlequin Dachshund puppy, you will be sure to take home, above all, a healthy dog.
What does the Harlequin Dachshund look like?
The Harlequin Dachshund or Merle is a variety of Dachshund, popularly known as “dachshunds”, which is characterized by having spots on its coat, generally brown, reddish, gray, black and white shades.
To obtain this coat variety, which is hereditary, Harlequin Dachshund breeders cross one parent that has the harlequin/merle gene with the other parent that is a Dachshund without that gene.
Harlequin Dachshund breeders do not cross two dogs with the Harlequin gene because Double Harlequin puppies are not accepted in the breed standard by the FCI (Fédération Cynologique Internationale).
This variety is also known by Harlequin Dachshund breeders as Merle or Dapple Dachshund, and has very particular physical characteristics that give shape to its well-known and peculiar appearance. Its elongated body, small head, long ears and shaggy tail are some of the most characteristic features of this breed.
It has short legs in relation to the size of its back and a short stature. Its elongated body tends to have strong muscles, making it a dog with a lot of dexterity and agility.
If the Dachshund is already a very peculiar breed, due, in part, to its amusing appearance in which its short legs stand out, the harlequin Dachshund is even more exotic and exclusive. The Dachshund breed has always been a favorite of many people for centuries, ever since European royalty have spoiled him for his pleasant companionship and for being an excellent tracker used for hunting.
Sizes and coat variety of the Harlequin Dachshund
There are three sizes in the Teckel that are differentiated by the perimeter of its ribcage. Thus we have:
- Standard: whose ribcage goes from 35 cm and they acquire an average weight of 9 kg.
- Miniature: the miniature Dachshund has a ribcage perimeter between 30 and 35 cm. In this case, the average weight is 4.5 to 6 kg.
- Kaninchen: It is the smallest size of all. Its rib cage has a perimeter of less than 30 cm, with an average weight of 3.5 to 4.5 kg. If you want to know the specific characteristics of this variety, we invite you to read our article Shorthair Kaninchen Dachshund, the best dachshund for your family that we have been breeding in Las Almenas for years.
As for the coat, the Dachshund also has three types of hair:
- Hard coat: which is characterized by a thick hair on the outer coat similar to that of the wild boar, which is mixed with the inner coat of hair. In addition, they have very bushy eyebrows and some beard on the muzzle.
- Shorthair: As for the shorthaired Dachshund, its coat is glossy, smooth and close to the skin all over the body.
- Long coat: its hair is straight and long, standing out on the ears, neck and back of the body. It is composed of a glossy double-layered coat, leaving the coat longer on the underside of the tail.
Colors of the Harlequin Dachshund
The Harlequin Dachshund has a great variety of colors, apart from the characteristics that each variety represents:
- Unicolor: those Harlequin Dachshunds that have only one color in their coat: red, yellow, although they may or may not have a black mottling.
- Bicolor: In general, we are talking about a black, brown or chocolate coat, with not very large red or yellow spots at eye level.
- Spotted: Harlequin Dachshund breeders call spotted those dogs that have a dark base color, it can be red, gray or black, but they are not dominant, and are mixed with irregular beige or gray spots.
Harlequin Dachshund Care
Merle Dachshund breeders insist that this breed does not need a lot of care or maintenance, but you should follow some very basic advice to ensure that your dog has a good quality of life and you can enjoy it for a long time:
- Take care of his coat
Regardless of the length of its coat, you should keep it clean and provide it with the necessary hydration. If you don’t, his coat will become dull and, what is worse, his skin will have problems.
You should moisturize him after bathing, every 20 days, but even if it is not his turn to bathe, you should continue to moisturize him very often, especially if you live in very cold and windy places. You can ask your veterinarian or your favorite pet store about those moisturizers that do not require rinsing and you can apply them whenever you see that his skin and coat need it.
- Make it easy for him to exercise
As Harlequin Dachshund caregivers, we make sure that these dogs get regular exercise. This need is due to the fact that Dachshunds have a tendency to put on weight, which can cause serious back problems in the future.
Try to include exercise in their daily routines to prevent them from becoming overweight, since, as they have short limbs and dimensions, overweight can cause serious problems when walking, running and breathing.
Walks, games, country walks, … all these activities are very necessary if we want our dog to be healthy and happy.
However, not all exercises are good for him. The Harlequin Dachshund breeders insist that this breed should not go up or down stairs, since its small spine can be damaged or injured with this kind of exercises. It is best that you support him properly, placing your arm under his body and supporting his back.
The feeding of all dogs is very important, but in the Dachshund it is of vital importance to avoid weight gain. That is why the Harlequin Dachshund breeders recommend feeding it with quality ingredients that contain a mixture of meat and vegetables without going overboard with the quantities. If you have any doubts about this, ask your veterinarian how much is the right amount and how many times a day.
Take him to the vet periodically
The Harlequin Dachshund breeders advise to visit the veterinarian frequently, since different types of health problems can occur, some of them are related to the especially long back that this breed has. Therefore, at the slightest doubt, it is important that you consult your veterinarian and have him/her check him/her to rule out any health problems.
A Harlequin Dachshund for your family
Now that you know what the Harlequin Dachshund looks like and its main characteristics, it is time to check if this type of dog is the most suitable for you and your family. It really is a dog with a playful character, very funny and small in size. He doesn’t need a lot of care or exercise. All this makes him an ideal dog for the whole family.
However, when acquiring this type of dog, it is essential to go to specialized breeders that guarantee the pedigree and above all the health of the dog. Do not skimp when looking for a harlequin dachshund because each specimen is unique and unrepeatable.
If you are interested in acquiring a harlequin dachshund or another toy dog breed, in Las Almenas we help you in the selection of your pet. We are breeders of Harlequin Dachshunds and other varieties of Dachshunds, as well as six other toy or mini dog breeds.
Ask now for information about our Teckel puppies, as well as the next litters. Or if you prefer you can leave us your questions below this article or on our Facebook and Instagram profiles, as well as on our YouTube channel where you can also continue to learn about the work of Harlequin Dachshund breeders and other mini breeds that we develop in Las Almenas. We will be happy to help you!